Students typically spend 2 days a week conducting independent research projects with resident faculty. This provides each student with the opportunity to develop skills in experimental design, thinking critically, and implementing research.
Some examples of independent research projects include:
- How hydrodynamics and sedimentation affect oyster reef success
- How exposure to boring sponge species influences respiration in oysters
- Understanding the limitations of Vibrio vulnificus culture based techniques
- Research on invasive species in coastal North Carolina
- Research to assess the highest priority issues facing coastal North Carolina in the area of stormwater runoff